Is Online Learning Right For You?
Online learning is the fastest growing method of getting a college-level education. Mildred Elley offers a wide variety of courses taught in a convenient online format.
Top Benefits of Online Learning
- Variety – Many courses available
- Convenience – Classes accessible from any computer with internet access
- Flexibility – Online course materials available 24 hours a day, every day
- Attention – Direct access to your instructors via email and class forums
- Real World Skills – Not only will you gain course knowledge, but you’ll also familiarize yourself with email, web browsing and web-based software, giving you an advantage over someone unfamiliar with the internet
- Self Discipline – You’ll learn self discipline skills when getting school work done, including self-motivation, time management and structure
- Savings – Less transportation costs
- Free Time – Since you’ll save on commute time, you’ll have more free time to spend with family, friends and other activities
Are you ready to take online courses at Mildred Elley?
Many classes in our programs can be taken online. Run through these questions to see if taking online classes will help contribute to your success!
You have access to a desktop or a laptop with internet access.
You will need a computer with access to the Internet to use our online platform. Make sure that you have unlimited access because borrowing a friend’s machine can lead to missed class times or even upset a friendship! iPads or tablets aren’t capable of much of the work, so make sure you have an actual computer available.
Your technology skills include the following:
- Use Email
- Search for information on the Internet
- Download and send attachments.
Evaluate your learning style
If communicating with your instructor face to face is essential, then online classes may not be the best idea for you. However, if you are comfortable without face to face interaction and think human interaction is not essential, online classes may be the way to go!
The amount of uninterrupted time you have to devote to an online class should be 10 to 15 hours a week
Online students should be self-motivated, self-disciplined and organized. Make sure you won’t have trouble remembering your assignments and won’t need an instructor to motivate you and help you stay on top of your coursework.
Reading and writing abilities
Since most assignments and online learning opportunities require a great deal of reading and writing, make sure you are comfortable with these skills before signing up for an online class.
Are you capable of dealing with a technical issue on your computer? Can you run a virus scan or Google your way into a solution if you have an issue? Online students tend to be self reliant when it comes to their computers.
New Programs and Technology
Online class platforms advance quickly as new technology becomes available. Online students tend to love new technology and are quick at adapting to new processes and tech. Can you adapt quickly or do you prefer to keep things at the status quo?
If you run into a road block, are you capable of quickly addressing it or do you wait till tomorrow and hope it sorts itself out? Successful online students don’t wait, they get things done!
So now that you know what makes a successful online student, let’s get started!